Club : LIONS CLUB OF DAMANSARA KUALA LUMPUR
Club No. : 5245-036164
Sponsor Club : Damansara (previously we were known as Kepong)
Charter Date : 1978
Charter President : William NS Chew
Centennial President (2016-2017) : Dato’ Amos Siew Boon Yeong
Project Name : Lions Club of Damansara Kuala Lumpur Education Fund Project
Project Description :
Our Club members feel that education is the cornerstone for success in life hence we wish to provide schooling aids for students from lower income groups to motivate them to focus on their studies.
All students were selected based on the agreed criteria (low income, discipline, attendance to school, academic results improvement) by Headmaster/teachers of each school. Each student receives two sets of school uniform, one school bag and two pairs of school shoes.
1. Objective of the Signature Project
It is our hope that by providing the schooling aids to these students, they will dress up well and have the interest go to schools like other students. We want to motivate them to focus on their studies and be successful in life. During the presentation of these school aids we also remind them that the following are the criteria (besides family income) for receiving these aids.
2. Attendance to school
3. Academic results improvement
Year 2008 – we have been doing this every year for the last eight years.
3. Members Involved
More than 30 members will involve to assist
Every year 7 schools/Homes will be selected and around 300 students will benefit.
5. Man hour spent
(7 schools x 2 lions x 10 hours) + (7 schools x 10 lions x 5 hours) = 490 man hours per year
Every year (October to November time frame)
7. Fund needed
RM50,000 to 70,000 per year
8. Source of Fund
Lions Club of Damansara KL project fund
9. Critical success factor
1. Commitment – members have a heart for education and strongly feels that education is the cornerstone for success in life.
2. Teamwork – we need a team to carry out this project. Individual Organising Chairperson needs to contact the school, discuss with HM/teacher, agree on the criteria, scrutinize the selected students list, follow-up with sample uniforms sizes/school shoes, deliver the stocks & subsequently arrange presentation of the school aids.
3. Financial – Club must have sufficient fund to sustain the project.
10. Other info
We have a committee managing this project & fund and Chairman is Lion Dato Robert Lim. Under this education project we had previously carried out other projects:
1. Built a school in Jakarta in 2009 to 2010 – USD30K
2. Rebuilt two school libraries & flood relief project in Kelantan 2014 – RM63K
3. Donation to SJKC Desa Jaya new school hall building fund 2015 – RM30K
Submitted By : Kenny Low